Williams College seeks a collaborative and strategic leader for the position of Executive Director for Facilities Operations. Reporting to the Vice President of Finance and Administration, the Executive Director for Facilities Operations will oversee the planning, organization, technical and administrative aspects of the Facilities Department. The Executive Director will provide operational management of the Facilities, including operating policies and procedures, personnel and budget management, program maintenance, repair, and services for the buildings, grounds, equipment, and the vehicle fleet. This includes the management of the following departments: Environmental Safety and Compliance, Auxiliary Services, Mechanical, Electrical & Architectural Trades, Grounds, Custodial Services, and the Heating Plant. In addition, the Executive Director is responsible for managing operations and facilities in a way that supports and advances environmental sustainability and ensures that quality service is provided to all of its customers.
The successful candidate will focus on effective communication between the facilities department and its clients. They will provide experienced leadership of a talented Facilities staff. And they will work closely with the Executive Director of Planning, Design, and Construction on the development of policies, procedures, as well as promoting teamwork within the staff, ensuring quality service, and smooth coordination between construction and operations.
The division maintains a campus that includes 184 buildings, with over 3,061,421 square feet of space and 3,420 acres of land. Significant investments in campus infrastructure and sustainability have been made over the years, resulting in excellent facility conditions and a strategy for ongoing maintenance. The college has also committed to building and maintaining high-performance, sustainable buildings that meet the needs of our community while also reducing waste, conserving resources, and taking advantage of efficient on-campus power.
Williams is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty and staff. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion. Applicants should highlight relevant experience with building, working with, and supporting a broadly diverse employee community.
The successful candidate will:
- Provide leadership, operations expertise, and stewardship of the college's infrastructure through safety and environmental compliance and related performance goals. Use collaborative skills, a customer-centric approach, and data to support the mission and strategic priorities of the college.
- Effectively lead and manage a staff of over 163 individuals. Direct reports include (1) Associate Director for Administrative Services, (2) Assistant Director for Facility Operations, (3) Assistant Director for Custodial Services and Special Events, (4) Manager of the Central Heating Plant, and the (5) Assistant to the Executive Director for Facility Operations.
- Monitor and analyze the Department's $25 million operating budget. Develop and implement monitoring systems and processes, analyze expense and revenue patterns, draw attention to budget anomalies, and recommend corrective actions.
- Develop long- and short-range plans for renovation, maintenance, and infrastructure projects, and ensure a safe, sustainable, and efficient environment for the College.
- Research, develop, and make recommendations on projects and issues assigned by the Associate Vice President, which require coordination across college departments.
- Ensure contractor compliance with all applicable fire & life safety codes, building codes, environmental regulations, OSHA regulations, college policies, and oversee quality control, finish level, and function of all work performed. Communicate schedule, milestones, costs, and status to supervisors, stakeholders, and the college community. Ensure compliance with applicable local, state, and federal building codes and regulations.
Candidates will have a minimum of a Bachelor's degree in a related field with eight or more years of relevant experience as a senior facilities manager in a complex multi-building facility, or the equivalent combination of education and experience; the possession of strong analytical skills and ability to use data to guide decision-making; broad intellectual curiosity and enthusiasm for fresh ideas; and strong coaching and mentoring skills that foster and support a collegial style of leadership are crucial. Experience at an independent school, college, university, higher education, or other large complex organization committed to service is preferred, with at least 5 of those years in a senior leadership position.
This is a full-time, year-round position. Regular evening, holiday, or weekend work is required to support facilities, projects, college events, and programs. Job group 1-A.
Employment at Williams is contingent on verification of background information submitted by the applicant, including the completion of a criminal record check.